Sunday, March 8, 2009

REFINEMENT OF EACH

“When you design, do not allow the spacing between the elements to ‘just happen’. Develop an active awareness of the spatial relationship that are occurring between the components of the layouts or image.”
- Jim Krause

“I have two goals. The first is that everything I do as a designer must have an idea: it cannot just look nice. The second is, it has to look nice. Without visual beauty even a good ides cannot pass.”
- Paul Rand

Keeping the words of these two masters in mind, I began refining the concepts.

The panel had also given me some feedback on my concepts, on which I had to further work on. Though, the final decision as to which one was selected was not yet made, they were mostly in the favour of the ‘SOARING HIGH’ concept.
Feedback from the panel

The meeting did not go as smooth as expected. There were many issues that were raised, few which I had answers for and few, unanswered.

W: “The arrows are mostly used for signage, how come are you using it as an identity?”
ME: “Here the arrow symbolizes an upward movement, students soaring high to reach the sky. And each arrow is custom made to symbolise each discipline.”

X: “29 number may stand for many more things, rather than just being 29th convocation. Why don’t you try and associate it with the year 2008?”
ME: “???????”

Y: “Try and show more upward movement of the arrows, some more force. Try and show as though the arrows are emerging from the NID.”
ME: “ Hmmm... I can try that.”

Z: “Try texture on each arrows, to show details of disciplines like VC, ID.
Try and give a more 3D look to the arrows.”
ME: “ I think the suggestion given in the form of the arrow is more than enough to indicate what it stands for. Adding texture will lead to even more complications.”